Friday 18 September 2009

HipHopInformant speaks with Legend Warren G!







Warren G exploded out of the burgeoning Long Beach rap scene in 1994 with the smash single "Regulate," a duet with longtime friend Nate Dogg, and its accompanying album, Regulate...G Funk Era.

G grew up in Long Beach listening to his parents’ extensive collection of jazz, soul and funk records, also frequently hanging out at the local V.I.P. record store. As a teenager, he and his friends Nate Dogg and future superstar Snoop Dogg formed a rap group called 213, after their area code. Eventually, the V.I.P. record store allowed the trio to practice and record in a back room. It was here that Snoop cut the demo "Super Duper Snooper," which G played for his half-brother Dr. Dre at a party. Dre invited all three to his studio and wound up collaborating with Snoop on The Chronic. While G also made several contributions, he opted to develop his talents mostly outside of Dre’s shadow. He honed his musical skills while producing such artists as MC Breed and 2Pac.

A break came when his vocal collaboration with Mista Grimm, "Indo Smoke," appeared on the Poetic Justice soundtrack. Soon after that, G recorded his debut album. "Regulate" appeared on the Above the Rim soundtrack and was released as a single. It quickly became a massive hit, peaking at 2 on the Billboard charts and pushing the album up to the same position. The album eventually went triple platinum, with "This D.J." becoming his second Top 10 hit.

HipHopInformant: It’s an honour to be able to Interview an artist such as yourself so thank you for taking the time out to talk to me. First off, how would you describe the West Coast Hip-Hop scene at the moment and do you think it’s changed since 1994?

Warren G: The West Coast scene at the moment is a lot of the younger artists trying to make a name for themselves. It changed a lot as far as so many different artists that are unknown trying to get into the game. Not that that’s a problem, but we have to wait until a Warren G, a Dr. Dre, a Snoop Dogg, an Ice Cube or guys like that to open the doors for the young cats. Like the Detox, like when Dre puts out the Detox, that will bring all of the attention to the West Coast. So once all of the attention is back on the west coast, then all of the artists that are trying to be the next superstar from the west can get in and really let people hear and see what they have going on.

HipHopInformant: Explain your new album “The G Files” to me what is it about?

Warren G: I’m more on some soulful blues; I’m not just going crazy on this. It’s nice and smooth, it’s a record you can drive to, smoke to, dance to and travel to. It’s just a good record; it’s not a stressful record.

HipHopInformant: How would you describe your sound to people who haven’t heard your music before?

Warren G: Hardcore drums, smooth melodies with a melodic flow. And heavy bass lines.

HipHopInformant: How was it being able to work with artists such as MC Breed, the legendary Tupac and of course Snoop Dogg?

Warren G: It’s incredible. It just let me know that the music I was doing was good music, that people really felt it and understood it. Those guys felt it and understood it so it made me feel really good. It was incredible.

HipHopInformant: What are your views on Hip-Hop as a whole at this moment in time?

Warren G: We gotta support one another more.

HipHopInformant: Has the way you rhyme and your lyricism changed since 1994, if so how?

Warren G: It hasn’t changed at all, I’m still Warren. I don’t try to follow what everybody is doing lyrically. I just be me! I just do me!

HipHopInformant: Can we expect anything new from 213 in the future?

Warren G: Hopefully. We’re just trying to see how Nate Dogg recovers. Once he gets all the way back right, there it is… its definitely gonna be a whole new era.

HipHopInformant: This is a question everyone wants to know the answer to; do you have any info on Detox by Dr. Dre? Most importantly when is it coming out?!

Warren G: All I can tell you is that there’s a lot of great music that I’ve heard on there. The records I’ve heard are incredible and those weren’t the ones that got leaked. Its gonna be an incredible album, I can’t wait.

HipHopInformant: How do fans respond when they see you on stage and is there a crowd that really gets into the music more than others?

Warren G: Every time I get on stage, no matter where it is, they love everything thing I do. The love is there everywhere I perform. Everybody is the same; they just go crazy when I get on there.

HipHopInformant: Do your songs have a message? If so, what is the message?

Warren G: My songs have different messages. For instance, I have a song called “Hold On” and what that message is, is that even though we’re going through these hard times you gotta hold on and keep your head up. Understand that everything will get better. If you’re at the bottom you can’t do nothing but go up.

HipHopInformant: What is your definition of REAL Hip-Hop?

Warren G: My definition of Hip-Hop music is a genre of music that is built through lifestyles and feelings.

HipHopInformant: On a serious note, who won the battle between you and DJ Whoo Kid on DJ Hero?

Warren G: I did. It's on film!

HipHopInformant: Finally, what does the future hold for Warren G?

Warren G: The future for Warren G is nothing but good. A lot of film and TV, a lot of great productions, a lot of up and coming new artists. Hopefully I’ll be to the UK real soon to come out to do some performances and have a good time and enjoy myself out there and work hard.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

heavy bass lines are sick, =) and a great interview, keep up the work