Tuesday 4 November 2008

Whose World Is This...K-Salaam!





Anyone who's been keeping an eye on the talented producers and DJ's in the Hip-Hop world will know who he is. He's worked with some of the biggest reggae and Hip-Hop artist including, Sizzla, Buju Banton, Mos-Def, Richie Spice and a whole host of other artists.
Teamed with his partner, Beatnic these two are ones to look out for.
Let me introduce you to K-Salaam.

HipHopInformant: How long have you been involved in Hip-Hop?


K-Salaam: I got into hip-hop at a very young age. During the whole break dancing phase with Newcleus, Afrika Bambaata, F.R.E.E.Z.E, the first hip-hop that I listened to was that Electro stuff. Shit has definitely changed.

HipHopInformant: How did you get involved in Hip-Hop?


K-Salaam: Through break dancin' back in the days.


HipHopInformant: Where are you from and does where you’re from influence your music?

K-Salaam: My family is from Iran. I grew up in Minneapolis. My music influences come from many places. My mom was a music teacher. I played the trumpet for many years. My partner Beatnick is extremely talented too. He can play every instrument known to man.
Growing up in Minneapolis as an Iranian, I went through a lot. I spent a lot of time by myself. That had a big effect on me musically. Hip-Hop was my escape.


HipHopInformant: Where did the name K-Salaam come from.


K-Salaam: My first name is Kayvon. In Farsi (in my father's dialect of Farsi) it means "the universe". Salaam is my middle name, it means "peace."

HipHopInformant: What are your views of Hip-Hop at the moment?


K-Salaam:
Hip-Hop is making a strong comeback right now. There are a lot of new artists coming up. Especially in NY and LA. It's kind of an exciting time for hip-hop.


HipHopInformant: Are there any artists that influence you and your music?


K-Salaam: I know my partner Beatnick is heavily influenced by Jimi Hendrix. Ican't really say that one artist has influenced me. I am influenced by life.


HipHopInformant: The new album “Whose World Is This” is out now so get it if you haven’t already! Is there a message behind the album?

K-Salaam: Definitely. But people have to actually listen to the album for themselves to get the message. The title is a question, it's up to the listener to find the answer to the question.

HipHopInformant: How do you feel when you perform in front of a crowd who all feel the music?

K-Salaam:
I feel great.

HipHopInformant: What do you think real Hip-Hop is?

K-Salaam: Myself and Beatnick. Palestine is hip-hop. The people that got kicked out of New Orleans, they're hip-hop.

HipHopInformant: Finally, what does the future hold for K-Salaam?



K-Salaam: We're gonna be working with a lot of new artists. A lot of these old cats gotta go. For real. We are the future of hip-hop. Real talk.




No comments: